The name of the Association shall be:
CLAN RYAN(AUSTRALIA) ASSOCIATION herein-after referred to as the "Clan" or "Association"
The Association shall consist of
- a. Patron;
- b. President;
- c. Vice-President;
- d. Secretary and/or Treasurer;
- e. Recorder/Scribe;
- f. Affiliated State Branches;
- g. Councilors representing affiliated State Branches;
- h. Members who are Registered with an affiliated State Branch;
- i. Honorary Members.
- a. Ordinary Membership of the Association shall be open to all persons who are bearers of the name Ryan or who are blood descendents of a Ryan
- b. Ordinary Membership of the Association shall be available ONLY by way of Membership of an established and affiliated State Branch. Membership of an Affiliated State Branch gives automatic Membership of the Ryan Clan (Australia).
- c. No further Fee shall attach because of Membership of the Ryan Clan (Australia).
- d. Honorary Membership of the Clan may be granted at any time by the Executive to any person assisting the Clan in any way and indicating a high degree of interest in the progress of the Clan.
- a. To bring all the bearers of the Ryan Name and their descendants in Australia together in friendship and cordiality, and foster fellowship and good will among Members.
- b. To investigate, and, if feasible, arrange for incorporation of the Association, when such a move is deemed to be desirable and advisable.
- c. To seek affiliation with and maintain close links with the Clans of Ireland Limited and the Ryan Clan in Ireland and any other Organization whether in Ireland or elsewhere in the world which fosters the concept of the Irish Clans System.
- d. To gather and collate information both general and specific relative to the Ryan Family and the Ryan Clan as a whole, and to make the information available to Members on request.
- e. To create a National Ryan Data Base and provide a National Information Center for the distribution of Family information to those Members who request it.
- f. To foster closer ties between Members of the Clan Ryan, and imbue the Members with a pride in the Family, by a greater appreciation, and wider knowledge of the Family Name and the history of the Clan.
- g. To encourage the formation of Branches of the Clan in all States and Territories of Australia, and to assist where possible in their establishment. Only one (1) Branch of the Clan shall be recognized in each State or Territory.
- a. State Branches - to be known as Sub-Branches - shall be autonomous in their operation, and shall be responsible for all Clan matters within its boundaries. It shall have the sole right to establish Branches - to be known as Chapters or Septs - as it sees fitting.
- b. It shall elect the Councilors to represent it on the National Committee and may vary the delegates as it sees fit, providing the National Management Committee with written notification of any changes.
- c. Prior to the Annual General Meeting of the National Body, it shall provide the National Committee with a report on the progress of the Clan Movement within its State and a list of its Financial Members.
- a. A certified copy of its Constitution & By Laws
- b. A Detailed Alphabetical list of ALL Financial Members of the State Branch at the time of making the application, and thereafter an up to date list of Financial Members as at the 1st. January each year will be lodged as soon as possible after that date.
- c. An annual Affiliation Fee of $20.00 payable on or before the 1st January each year, to assist the Ryan Clan (Australia) with postage and dissemination of News.
The day to day direction and control of the Clan shall be vested in the Executive Committee, which shall consist of:-
- a. President
- b. Vice-President
- c. Secretary
- d. Treasurer or Secretary/Treasurer
- e. Recorder/Scribe
- f. Councilors.
- g. All Members of the Management Committee shall be elected in accordance with Rule 9 next following.
- a. The Officers of the Association, with the exception of the Councilors, shall be elected an Annual General Meeting of the Association. If more than one Nomination is received for ny Position, a Ballot shall be conducted by a Returning Officer, duly appointed by the retiring President for the purpose.
- b. All Officers shall hold Office for a period of 3 years from date of appointment, unless he/she shall previously resign or be removed from Office by the vote of the Members.
- c. Between Elections, in the event of an Office Bearer resigning, retiring, being dismissed from Office or otherwise becoming unavailable, the vacancy shall be filled in the following manner: i. If in the original ballot for the position, there were more than one nomination, the Nominee with the next highest vote, who is still available shall be asked to take the position for the unexpired portion of the term of Office, and the Affiliated Branches advised of the change. -Or- ii. An election shall be held to appoint an Officer to take his/her place for the unexpired portion of his/her term of Office. This shall be done by notifying all affiliated Branches of the existence of the vacancy, calling for Nominations for the position to be lodged within one (1) month of notification of the vacancy. In the event of more that one Nomination for any Position being received a Ballot shall be conducted by a Returning Officer duly appointed by the President for that purpose.
- d. Two (2) Councilors shall be appointed by each Registered Affiliated State Sub-Branch, and they shall hold Office for a period of three (3) years from the date of their appointment, unless the Association is advised by the State of his/her removal from the position, and the full name, address, and details of his/her replacement. It is highly desirable that Nominees for positions of Councilors be connected to the Internet & email and the relevant address be supplied at the time of appointment.
The Financial Year of the Association shall be from the 1st. January to the 31st. December next following, and all dues and reports are due on the 1st. January each year, and must be in the hands of the Secretary not later that the 1st. March each year.
All Business of the Branch shall be conducted in co-operation by the President, Vice-President, Secretary/Treasurer, unless the matter is of a controversial nature, when a Postal Ballot of ALL Officers shall be conducted.
- a. GENERAL MEETINGS: i. General Meeting of the Clan shall be held every three (3) years for the purpose of electing Office Bearers and consideration of any propositions submitted by Member States. ii. Special General Meetings may be held at any time as deemed desirable for the efficient discharge of the business of the association, or on requisition signed by two (2) or more member States.
- b. MANAGEMENT OR EXECUTIVE MEETINGS: The Management Committee and/or the Executive Officers shall meet whenever deemed necessary for the efficient handling of Association business. Providing, always that any or all decisions may be reached by way of telephone, postal or e-mail connection, and shall be as valid as if the Members had gathered together in a physical Meeting.
- c. All matters placed before the Management Committee shall be decided by a simple majority of the Members entitled to vote.
Between Meetings all the Business of the Association shall be conducted in co-operation by the President; Vice-President and Secretary/Treasurer, unless the matter is of a controversial nature, in which case a Postal Ballot of All Officers and Councilors shall be conducted by the Secretary and /or President. The results of any such Postal Ballot shall be decided on the basis of Clause 12c. Above.
- a. The Management Committee is empowered to formulate whatever By-Laws and/or Regulations it may deem necessary for the successful conduct of the business of the Associations, and the attainment and implementation of the Aims and Objects of the Association.
- b. The implementation and/or amendment of such By-Laws or Regulations shall also be decided on the basis of Clause 12c. above.
- a. This Constitution may be altered, added to, amended, or rescinded only by Notice of Motion considered at a duly convened General Meeting of the Association.
- b. Notices of Motions must be in writing, signed by the Mover and Seconded, clearly stating the proposed alteration, amendment, rescission or addition together with the arguments in favour of the Motion and must be lodged with the Secretary at least one (1) month prior to the date set for the Annual General Meeting.
- c. If no Annual General Meeting is scheduled within a reasonable time, the Secretary in collaboration with the President must circulate the Notice of Motion for the proposed Alteration to each of the Member States, seeking their advice as to whether to call a General Meeting or whether the proposal should by dealt with by Postal Vote of the Member States. If deemed necessary then a General Meeting must be convened within two (2) months of the receipt of the draft Motion. If a majority of the Member States agree, then the matter may be resolved by a Postal Ballot.
- d. To become effective any such alteration to the Constitution must be carried by a majority vote of at least three-quarters of those persons eligible to vote.
- a. President: The President shall be the nominal head of the Association, and shall represent the Association before third parties. He shall preside at all Meetings of the Association, and in the event of a tied vote shall exercise a second or casting vote. In the event of a dispute on the meaning of any of the Clauses of this Constitution & By-Laws he shall be the final arbiter.
- b. Vice-President: The Vice President shall assist the President in the carrying out of his duties, and in the absence of the President, shall assume the position of the absent President with the full power and authority of the President.
- c. Secretary: The Secretary shall be responsible for keeping an accurate keeping account of the Minutes of all Meetings of the Association and arrange for copies to be distributed to each Member of the Management Committee as soon as possible after each Meeting. In collaboration with the President he/ she shall prepare an Agenda so that the Chairman be thoroughly acquainted with the business of each Meeting before the Meeting commences He/she shall check the Minutes of the last Meeting and make notes of items "for business arising" and ensure that any papers or documents relating to these items are on band and collated. He/she shall note any items deferred and ensure that it is brought up in accordance with the Meetings wishes, until the matter is resolved and passed or rejected. He/she shall list any known General Business and arrange any correspondence in readiness for the Meeting.
- d. Treasurer: The Treasurer shall receive all monies on behalf of the Association, issue receipts for same, enter details into a general ledger, and bank all receipts to the credit of the Association He/she shall keep an accurate written account of all monies received and expended on behalf of the Association, and shall keep the Management Committee fully informed as to the financial situation of the Association. He/she shall prepare a Balance Sheet and Financial Statement for presentation to the General Meeting of the Association
- e. Recorder: The Recorder/Scribe shall be responsible for the collection and recording of all details relative to the Members of the Association. He shall keep the Membership records up to date, so as to be able to advise the Management Committee as to the progress and growth of the Clan at any particular time. He shall be responsible for the establishment of a Computer based Database for Australian Ryans, and to do all things necessary to make such database available to any and all Members on request.
- f. Councilors: Councilors shall be appointed by the individual State Sub-Branches and shall represent the opinions of their State at Management Committee Meetings. They shall speak to items submitted by their State Sub-Branches, and clarify any doubtful passages in the submission. They shall report back to their Sub-Branch on the Business of the Management Committee.